Hawaiian Luau Meatless Meatballs
- 1 cup dry plain bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
- 4 TB orange juice
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 jars (12 oz each) of Asian sweet and sour sauce
- 4 TB brown sugar
- Optional: add a sprinkle of chili powder, if you like an extra kick. Toasted sesame seeds or diced pineapple can be added for garnish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the meatless meatballs, bread crumbs, eggs, kosher salt, orange juice, and ground onion. Form into 40 meatballs; place on large baking sheets. Bake about 20 minutes at 350F (at this point, you can opt to freeze cooked meatballs for future use.)
- If using a slow cooker, combine sweet and sour sauce with brown sugar. Add meatballs, gently fold to coat with sauce. Cook on low setting for about 30 minutes or just long enough to warm up the sauce (if the sauce simmers for long, it will thicken too much.) Switch to a warm setting and serve saucy meatballs straight from the slow cooker.
- If using a large pan/pot, let the meatless meatballs and sauce mixture come to a simmer and remove from heat. Transfer to serving dish and garnish as desired.